Thursday, August 17, 2006

single origin


I've been playing around with a few coffees for the express purpose of evaluating them on their strength as single origin espresso. There is not a coffee I roast that doesn't get run through as a SO shot, but that is purely for my own experimentation. Notes are taken and filed away for future reference, some as a simple "yuck" others with more detail. The roast level may not be optimum for that particular coffee as an espresso because it may be a production roast specifically done for use in French Press or a Fetco drip but I still get a good idea of how that coffee would taste with a roast degree more suited for espresso.

This week has found me with a number of coffees sent to me by various importers, brokers, roasters, professional cuppers and directors of coffee buying/development at my request. The response was overwhelming and many times an excited, "I've got the perfect coffee for single origin espresso I'd love you to try" was heard. A huge
thank you to all who sent me beans, you know who you are!

Before I go any deeper into my findings, I better explain that this isn't an argument for or against Single Origin espresso or espresso blends. It's purely a exercise in understanding how many different coffees perform as SO's on a grand scale. Am I going to bore my readers with every cupping note, every discovery, every flowery prose and descriptor? No, I'll save you that. I will however tell you about my eureka! moments, occasional exemplary shot and stuff that just blew my socks off.

I will update this post as time and energy allows with my discoveries and get it started with this...

Brasil
Fazenda Vista Alegre [Traditional Dry]
In keeping with my above promise, I'll cut to the chase...EXCEPTIONAL!
buttery smooth, sweet and beyond expectations

more to follow....





2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Larry

I've been lucky enough to cup the Fazenda Vista Alegre in the past and it is a wonderful coffee.

Just for interest how were you doing these, was it a straight cupping then SO shot or straight into the shots?

Great blog keep up the good work

Steve

2:39 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Hi Stephen

I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of the '07 Fazenda Vista Alegre Natural Dry!

I'm cupping the majority and putting others straight through the machine.

Next up is a relationship coffee from Nayarit, Mexico. It suprised me!

Larry

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home